Late songwriting great Nick Drake has been remembered in recent years with a travelling tribute show called "The Songs of Nick Drake." Today (November 25) marks the 40th anniversary of his death in 1974, and to acknowledge the milestone, the organizers of the show have shared a full concert recording from the archives.
The Songs Of Nick Drake, recorded at the Bathurst St. Theatre (now the Randolph Theatre), Sunday November 18th, 2012.
In November 2012 we toured this show through Ontario and Quebec, culminating in this Toronto concert.
Please visit our facebook page for 2015 concert announcements and all things related to Nick: https://www.facebook.com/TheSongsOfNi...
1. Luke Jackson: Introduction (00:00)
2. Kurt Swinghammer: River Man (01:47)
3. Oh Susanna: Place To Be (06:46)
4. Kevin Kane: Free Ride (11:46)
5. Luke Jackson: Parasite (16:04)
6. David Matheson: At The Chime Of A City Clock (21:12)
7. Don Kerr & Ron Sexsmith: Time Has Told Me (25:55)
8. David Celia: Hazey Jane II (31:29)
9. Brent Jackson: Things Behind The Sun (35:29)
9. Sahra Featherstone: Clothes Of Sand (39:12)
10. Mike Evin: Black Eyed Dog (44:49)
11. Kurt Swinghammer: Three Hours (50:14)
12. Oh Susanna: One Of These Things First (56:24)
13. Ron Sexsmith: Day Is Done (1:01:10)
14. Kevin Kane: Northern Sky (1:04:01)
15. David Celia: From The Morning (1:07:29)
16. Oh Susanna: Fly (1:12:21)
17. Andrea Kovats: Sunday (1:16:16)
18. Kurt Swinghammer & Kathryn Rose: Poor Boy (1:19:51)
19. Kevin Kane: Voice From The Mountain (1:25:37)
Video shot and edited by Peter Gugeler
Live recording by Marty Smyth
Live sound by Anne Keillor and Don Sklepowich
The Songs Of Nick Drake concert tour produced by Luke Jackson.
Don Kerr – Drums
Jason Mercer – Bass
Kurt Swinghammer – Guitar
David Matheson – Piano
Alex Cheung – violin
Sahra Featherstone – violin
Matt Coleman – violin
Johann Lotter – viola
Norman Hathaway – viola
Wendy Solomon – cello
Todd Porter – saxophone on At The Chime Of A City Clock, Hazey Jane II & Poor Boy
Brian Walters – Trumpet on Hazey Jane II
Tour Manager: Karen Pace
Assistant Tour Manager: Jennifer Johnston
This is an edit of the complete concert which ran close to three hours. We performed Bryter Layter in its entirety and you can hear it in sequence here: https://soundcloud.com/popsiclerecordings/the-songs-of-nick-drake
All songs by Nick Drake
All string arrangements by Robert Kirby, except:
Clothes Of Sand by Michael Holt
Poor Boy by Kevin Fox
Parasite by Richard Arrigo
Richard also transcribed At The Chime Of A City Clock for us because Robert's original score was missing. Thank you Richard.
With special thanks to Henry Kirby.
To coincide with the tour, Kurt Swinghammer produced a beautiful 12" single of Riverman and his cover of Donovan's Sunny Goodge Street. The artwork features Kurt's portraits of both songwriters.
This video is dedicated to the memory of Don Sklepowich.